The task of the notary is especially the draw-up and issuance of deeds on legal acts – solemisation, certification of legally relevant issues – verification, notarial deposit proceedings, acts concerning the Central Notarial Registers as well as further activities pursuant to the Act. No. 323/1992 (Coll.) as amended.
The notary draws up and issues public deeds on legal acts. This means especially bilateral legal acts as contracts and agreemens, unilateral legal acts as testaments and declarations.
The notary certifies facts that could constitute a basis for claiming rights, or by which could entail legal consequences. The notary issues certificates on the correctness of a transcript or photocopy of a deed (vidimation), on the authenticity of a signature on a deed (legalisation); a certificate stating that a deed has been submitted (and when); certificate on the protestation of bills of exchange; on the course of general assemblies and sessions of legal entities; on the fact that somebody is alive; declarations of prescription (acquisition by adverse possession) as well as on other facts. In his certification work, the notary is not responsible for the content of a legal act. He is responsible only for the correct and true description of the certified facts.
Further notary services are Depositions. The notary receives for notarial deposition deeds as testaments, money and paper stocks, if handed over to the notary with the requirement to hand them over under certain conditions to a certain receiver and money, if handed over with the demand to dispose of it according to a contract or special regulation.
The notary is also in charge of the complete inheritance agenda. The notary (as a judicial commissioner) deals with the inheritance procedures in compliance with the provisions of the Act No. 99/1963 (Coll.) of the Code of Civil Procedure. In connection with the exercise of notary activities, the notary may provide physical (natural) and legal entities with legal consultancy, draw up other deeds, administrate assets and represent those entities in connection with the management of their assets (if not stipulated otherwise by law)..
Through its Central Information System, the Chamber of Notaries of Slovak Republic maintains central registers, as public electronically maintained lists. The data registered (incorporated) in the central notarial registers are effective towards anybody by the day the entry has been made. Against persons acting in confidence in the entry into the central notary - the person the entry pertains to, cannot object that the registration does not comply with reality. The registers are as follows:
- Central Notary Register of Pledges – the notary registers here pledges to movable assets, receivables, to the company or its parts, changes in the register's data, exercise or deletion of a lien. Against a fee, the notary issues also extracts from this register. A lien can be established based on a contract, based on law, decision of a court or administrative authority or Succession Certificate in compliance with the provisions of the Civil Code.
- Central notary register of designated legal entities – the notary registers here designated legal entities as the beneficiaries of the dedicated 2 % of the income tax paid, pursuant to the Income Tax Act.
- Central notary register of notarial protocols – this contains registered notarial protocols.
- Central notary register of certified signatures - the notary registers here certificates on the authenticity of signatures.
- Central Notary Register of Testaments - this contains registered testaments, disinheritance deeds, deed revoking them and other legal acts pertaining to a physical person's death.
- Central notary register of voluntary auctions - the notary registers here voluntary auctions in compliance with the applicable legal regulations,
- Central Notary Register of Deeds (archive of deeds) - the notary registers here all notarial protocols and if demanded so by the parties - he also registers other deeds in electronic form in it.
- Central Notary register of judicial decisions on persons deprived of or restricted in their legal capacity - the notary registers here judicial verdicts depriving persons of or restricting them in their legal capacity.